Sun, 19 Nov|
Top Floor, Sutton Central Library
Light of Souls
Join us for an extraordinary cultural celebration that bridges two worlds. The Diwali-Bulgarian Festival Fusion brings together the brilliance of Diwali, the Indian Festival of Lights, with the reverence of the Bulgarian Celebration of the Soul Journey and other cultural traditions!
Time & Location
19 Nov 2023, 13:00 – 16:00
Top Floor, Sutton Central Library, St Nicholas Way, Sutton SM1 1EA, UK
About The Event
Creative Heritage is excited to introduce a unique cultural melding event celebrating the
Indian festival of Diwali and the Bulgarian Celebration of the Souls that have passed on, among other cultural traditions. At the heart of all celebrations lies the universal theme of light triumphing over darkness, whether it is the luminosity of Diwali candles signifying good over evil or the candles lit on All Souls' Day in Bulgarian tradition to honour and guide departed souls. We invite other communities to join us and tell us more about how they celebrate light. A special mural will be placed at the event, where everyone can share their messages of Light, Hope and Eternity.
- Indian dance and music representing Diwali's festive spirit.
- Bulgarian performances showcasing the solemnity and respect of All Souls’ Day and the Legend of Orpheus.
Interactive Art Installation - "Unity Mural"
- A mural space where attendees can attach elements signifying Diwali's light or the Bulgarian angelic symbols, or they can leave a message for someone dearly departed. By the end, this collective artwork will visualise the fusion of cultures.
- Henna Tattoo (Mehndi) Station: Traditional Indian body art.
- Candle-making Workshop: Using mouldable wax, symbolising the creation of light.
- Rangoli Creation: Traditional Indian floor art using coloured materials.
- Food stalls offering a taste from both countries.
- Craft and artefact stalls providing tangible connections to the traditions.
Light & Tech Features
- Multimedia Screens: Placed for storytelling and learning about the cultural significance of the celebrations.
- Tech-led Candle Light Decorations: Embracing the theme of light, LED candles will elevate the atmosphere, providing both functional illumination and thematic decoration.
This event is part of the Light & Dark Festival, which explores the theme of triumph of light over darkness and the hope for renewal and warmth during the coldest and darkest time of the year. The festival sheds light on the beauty of cultural diversity, the science behind
illumination, and how creativity and technology can create a more captivating cultural experience for visitors. This festival is part of Sutton STEAMs Ahead and takes place across the London Borough of Sutton between October 2023 and February 2024. Read more about the Light & Dark Festival and Sutton STEAMs Ahead here.
Sutton STEAMs Ahead is a project funded by a Cultural Impact Award as part of the Mayor of London’s London Borough of Culture programme and The National Heritage Lottery Fund.
Entry to the event£0.00Sold Out
Entry to the event (0-17 year old)£0.00Sold Out
We are currently sold out. Get this "ticket" to go on our waiting list. We will email you as soon as a ticket becomes available.£0.00